Wednesday, February 16, 2005

IDF soldier shoots and kills a 14 year-old boy playing with his friends

IDF soldier shoots and kills a 14 year-old boy playing with his friends
B'Tselem

At around 10:30 AM, I saw one of the soldiers pop his head out of the roof of the jeep and aim his weapon at us. I heard a shot being fired and then two or three more. I saw Salah a Din fall backwards without making a sound. Blood was streaming down his chest. I tried to pick him up but he was too heavy. Then a vehicle came from the east. The driver got out of the car, picked Salah a-Din up and took him to the clinic.

- Taufik Abu Muhsan, aged 14

At around 10:30, I saw one of the soldiers stick his head out of the roof of the jeep and aim his weapon towards a group of children playing about 150 meters away from him. He shot one bullet and then I heard two of three more. I saw one of the children fall to the ground. I didn’t understand what could be the cause for the shooting. The children had been playing all morning. They were chasing each other. I could hear them laughing and talking. They don’t have a club or a park to play in. They gather in the alleyways and yards that are between the houses. One of the kids was playing with a toy gun. These are the toys that our children play with. They live in a reality of gunfire and violence and play games like “Arabs against the army.” They act out all the parts of this game - the soldiers shooting people, then a funeral for whoever was shot.

- Muhammad Daraghmeh, neighbor

No comments: